Thursday, September 16, 2010

Healthy Food and Cupcakes at School

There was recently an article in the Detroit Free Press (link below) where an elementary school in Redford has gone the route of offering only healthy food choices for lunch. Nothing is fried, there is a vegetable bar and the hot dogs are made from turkey. I'm all for healthy food, especially since childhood obesity is supposedly becoming a problem. I support what they're doing, but it isn't going to help all that much though if the students go home and pig out on half of a package of Oreos and a bag of chips in one sitting.

I think moderation is the key. The occasional burger or  brownie, etc. isn't going to mean much in the long run. There's a part in the article about the school banning students from bringing cupcakes to school for their birthdays. That was a tradition back when I was a student in elementary school, and here I am graduating college next year. It's a special event, it makes the student feel special and then 15 minutes later the class goes back to their schoolwork. Why so harsh?

I could rant about more about my thoughts about obesity, health and responsibility here in the USA, but I'll save it for another entry.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100915/FEATURES01/9150345/0/FEATURES04

1 comment:

anontcotrol said...

Sometimes extreme measures have to be taken